Sunday, December 4, 2011

Service by Tutoring


This past semester, Fall 2011, I had the opportunity to tutor a kindergarten boy named Anthony.  During this semester Anthony and I focused mainly on math skills.  We worked on elements such as counting and identification of numeric symbols.  I quickly found that Anthony needed particular help in becoming familiar with the “teen” numbers. 
With each tutoring session I learned new characteristics about Anthony, and how to help him learn his numbers.  I was forced to become creative in finding ways to engage Anthony in learning his numbers.  I experimented with many activities from counting our “hops” to the end of the hallway, to simply having him count by wrote.  With Anthony though, I found that the most effective strategy in learning his numbers was through playing board games.  Board games seemed to be a way of forcing Anthony not only to identify a number, but also to count the number immediately after the identification.  Certain games such as “Chutes and Ladders”, and “Sorry” worked especially well for this.  These games excited Anthony, in fact, he may not have even recognized that these games were helping him to learn. 
Although the games worked well for Anthony, I found that there were times when it was necessary for Anthony and I to “buckle-down” by going over numbers repeatedly.  Many times I would do this by showing Anthony a number and having him Identify the name.  If he could not identify the number correctly, we would put the number in the ‘wrong’ pile, only to come back to it later.  After drilling the numbers, Anthony would then be more successful in applying his knowledge to a board game such as chutes and ladders. 
Over the time that I spent tutoring Anthony I learned that this boy is strong willed, and very determined to learn.  Anthony worked hard in our lessons and showed excitement when he learned something new.  I saw much improvement in Anthony in that he became much more confident in identifying and counting the teen numbers.  Although Anthony still struggles the numbers thirteen and fifteen, I know that this boy will be successful because he is determined.  Anthony shows a desire to learn and to be smart.
            The most prominent lesson that I learned in working with Anthony is that each child is different and is motivated by different activities.  Even Anthony seemed to be motivated by varying activities depending on the day.  As a teacher then, I was forced to think quickly in finding new and creative ways to help Anthony with his Math Skills.  I am thankful for this tutoring experience and the things that I learned, but I am also thankful that I was able to give Anthony the help that he needed to kick-start his math skills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment